Monday, May 19, 2008

Reflections: Gossip Girl, Season One

Oh, Josh Schwartz. It's been a helluva season. Totally sucks it's over now and we'll have to wait out the summer for more goodness, but you know, it was a good one. Without the dramatic tension that made The OC so damn laughable, and certainly so easily parodied, it's been well-established that Gossip Girl can hold its own without the constant stoicism and brooding glances. And it was about damn time, I like you better this way, Schwartzy (mind if I call you Schwartzy?)!
Anyway, enough about how much I love this show and how easily it turns the most mature women into screaming girls. It's time for some reflections.

The whole Georgina thing went out hella fast. I thought there'd be some insane buildup or something-- I like what happened, but it ended so abruptly, and of course the audience got what they wanted, so a lot of the advertised focus was thrown out in the first half-hour. Something felt kind of missing there.
I really like Blair and Chuck, but I'd miss the bad Chuck too much. Good for him that he went for that decorator chick who looked like Lydia Hearst (come to think of it, was it?). Damn, he's hot, too. I didn't think that for awhile. I'd fall for that upfront seduction.
This certainly wasn't a season finale I hated at all. I love how they try to play up the drama, but never too intensely. As much as skeptics would deny it, this show is incredibly classy (doubting me? Compare it to its supposedly more sophisticated counterpart Sex and the City, latent with cheesy dialogue and comparisons of good relationships to Manolo Blahniks), and in its own way, runs like real life. All the shit on the show happens in the real world, even the whole never-getting-carded-in-clubs thing. But Gossip Girl sure as hell doesn't make a big deal out of their, well, big deals. Blair's pregnancy scare lasted like a quarter of an episode, you know? It just kinda flows. I love that.

But, this season put aside, here are some small predictions for the fall return of Gossip Girl:

  • The Lily/Rufus thing won't end easily, I don't think, even if they say so. They seem to have that whole eternal-lovers things going on and I don't think Mr. Rockstar will get over his first love so easily. He'll probably get hella ass on that tour, too, which could maybe help him forget his dream girl.

  • Chuck will return to his old self, but of course the feelings for Blair will remain. There'll be that whole sexual conflict allll over again.

  • Speaking of deja vu, chemistry could very well reoccur between Nate and Serena...?

  • Blah blah blah, conflict between Ms Waldorf and Jenny, blah blah, don't care, I hate Jenny anyway.

  • Oh, and I hope they have an episode about voting come November! Kinda like how they had an SAT episode the week of the SATs, which was weird for me, considering I've never had something going on in a show going on for me at that very time. They so should have a voting episode.

Overall, it kinda seems like all the same stuff is going to happen again. But then again, Gossip Girl never fails to surprise.
I can't wait!

You'll hate me for doing this,

XOXO
Lolita Hazed

(Sorry! It was inevitable!)

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com