Monday, July 7, 2008

Around the World: Meguro, Japan

I'm not gonna lie-- I've been feeling hella out of place here in Tokyo. I'm used to big crowds, but not knowing a country's language makes things damn hard. When you're stressed, it's kinda hard to remember you're supposed to come home with inspiration and whatnot. You forget to breathe and use your brain, which, you know, would kill you.

Today we took a train to Meguro, which was so refreshing that I can't even explain it.
It's one of the quietest parts of Tokyo I've seen-- it's small, safe and hella tight. There's more to do here than meets the eye.
First of all, there are amazing thrift stores here. We came across a really great one called Anypenny*, where there was all this really amazing discount designer stuff in great conditions-- I found Cheap Monday, Kate Moss Topshop, Vivienne Westwood Anglomania, Narciso Rodriguez, Tsumori Chisato... list goes on. Absolutely amazing. Also you can get some bomb hard-to-find Japanese editions of your favorite vinyls and CD's at Satellite*, right next door.
My favorite place was the posh hotel Claska, which really helped to clear the ole brain palate. Come in and drink tea (or the mango juice, which is expensive, but so worth it), have some fancy dessert and listen to some great music (I took notes). I highly recommend sitting in the lobby and peeking their totally bomb-ass selection of back-issues of Japanese magazines like the totally badass, but now-defunct Relax, which felt like dipping my head in inspiration juice. And the gallery? So many really, really exciting artists. Damn, do I recommend that shit.
So overall, it's a tiny district that shouldn't be overlooked. Like I said, more to do than you'd think.
And best of all, you'll remember to breathe.
ADDRESS BOOK: MEGURO
Claska
1-3-18 Chuo-cho
Meguro-ku, Tokyo
*Sorry I don't have the addresses for Satellite or Anypenny. Just make your way from the train station to Claska, and you'll probably find it. If you don't, there's still several other gems to hit up-- I'm just providing some brill examples. Happy hunting!

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com