Sunday, December 21, 2008

Did the albums I was excited for last year suck?

What do you know? Most of them did not. Here is the list of albums I was excited for with my comments on them...

Annie, Don't Stop
d00d, wut?! This was supposed to come out this year. It did not. It's coming out in spring. Sadness commences.
be your own PET, Get Awkward
What a disappointment. As a huge byoP fan, I was SO EXCITED. The results didn't live up to my long wait-- the original sparks just... were gone. Plus, all the really great songs didn't even make it onto the final version, which was a huge debacle and, well, caused the band's demise. One of 2008's saddest deaths. I was looking forward to more.
CSS, Donkey
I liked this one! Showed my electro-buddies heading in a new direction. It's the CSS I love, but a wee bit more gentille and definitely different, and I have a lot of respect for artists who try never to take the same route twice. I see L7 influence? Likey. Read my review here.
The Duke Spirit, Neptune
THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR. Hands down. Buy this shit. It's so good.
Goldfrapp, Seventh Tree
OMG yawn. Yawn. Yawn. I love you, Goldfrapp, but naw. Did not dig. You can do better than this, and I could tell you weren't feeling it the moment I saw that sad excuse for an album cover.
Kid Sister, Koko B. Ware
(Now titled Dream Date) January 27! Woooo!!
The Kills, Midnight Boom
*Sigh*, another favorite of mine from the year! Sexier than usual Kills fare, and believe me, these kids are notoriously sexy (and they show no sign of sucking! EVER!). Their aura exudes UNTOUCHABLE coolness. This album is great, buy it for me for Christmas, plz? I still no haz.
Lily Allen, T.B.A.
It's Not Me, It's You! This one is accounted for. SO A-CITED!! Feb 10 plz!!
N.A.S.A., T.B.A.
Single? Check. So where's the album? Come on.
Ratatat, LP3
It was good. Didn't buy it because I didn't care enough to.
Uffie, T.B.A.
Didn't come out, just like we all knew it wouldn't. Sadz, but saw it coming. We pretty much only saw you twice this year, and I miss you. Come back. Soon. LOVE.


Good albums from '08 I didn't include on the anticipation list:
Britney Spears, Circus
Yeah yeah, so you preferred Blackout-- but you've gotta admit, Britney rocked this shit. Seriously, "Circus" is so, so good. It gets me PUMPED.
Erykah Badu, New Amerykah, Part 1 (4th World War)
My sister, a huge Erykah fan, got this and it's really quite good. Very different, but definitely one of the best she's ever done. However, my sister thinks it's Erykah Badu for white hipsters (which it kinda is, and I have proof).
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds; Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Oh, you already know what I think of Nick Cave. I really don't have to say any more, do I?

Anything you liked or were excited for that I didn't include? Hit me up!
Oh, and HAPPY SOLSTICE!!
Y Lolita Hazed

4 comments:

Erika said...

Yeah, light a candle for Uffie and Kid Sister. I was so excited for Koko B Ware too. And tear for byoP this year. The album was meh, and then they broke up!

But I loooved the Kills album. I have No Wow and I love how Midnight Boom is still in the same groove, but with a better sound. Wonderful wonderful.

Valentina said...

I really liked CSS this year. Maybe even more than the first album. This one just seemed to work a little bit better as a whole, and seeing them live was like spectacular. And The Duke Spirit album totally is amazing. But WHERE is my Uffie? Where?? Why is Uffie becoming the new Chinese Democracy? The day that album finally comes out will be a day of much rejoicing.

Lolita Hazed said...

They played the CSS leak in a sushi restaurant I went to in Kansas City and I TOTES loved it. It's fun, but not in the same way-- the drinking and debauchery is still there, but surprisingly more mature, you know? OMG, I need to listen to "Jager Yoga" now.

WTF, UFFIE. She confuses me in so many ways. That chick was EVERYWHERE in 2006-2007, but then she just tucked her head into her little shell and hermited and got married and stopped dating Feadz, thus breaking the hearts of several electro nerds round the world. And now I no longer know who she is. She should re-acquaint me with herself.

Valentina said...

She's been around though, I saw pics of her on cory kennedy's blog and she looked super pretty. I'm not even sure why I love her so much, but omg will you please return to life sometime soon Uffie?

 

design by suckmylolly.com