Wednesday, August 6, 2008

If I could be anyone, I think I'd be Natasha Khan.

To me, Natasha Khan, AKA Bat for Lashes, is one of the most accessible people in music. A weird girl like me can really appreciate finding a girl who loves Kate Bush and Bjork (not to mention my girl-crush, PJ Harvey) because they made her feel good about being weird. I can totally dig. Oh Natasha, can't you see that's what you've done to me?

Fur and Gold came out very recently, but it's easily become one of my favorite albums ever. I never skip a track-- every song is just so well done, and the lyrics combined with the mystic instruments are like entering a fairy tale written for grown castaways. I've been taking piano lessons this summer and I think it might be because I want to be exactly like her. I wish she would adopt me as her little sister and teach me her amazing ways. I pretend her song "Sarah" is about me.

So, thanks to Erika (seriously, thank you), I found a really wonderful little gem today-- I normally don't look at Stereogum, but as I was downloading a song from her fall mix she just posted, I stumbled upon a beautiful cover of The Cure's classic "A Forest", and I'm falling in love with this lady all over again.
Best of all is that I think the players in this track are none other than Natasha's brand-new backing band The Blue Dreams! A preview for her next album, maybe?
*Sigh*, I love everything this woman does, so I'm sure that whatever she's got up her sleeve will be nothing short of fantastic.

5 comments:

Valentina said...

omg, seriously, I am like madly in love with Bat for Lashes. Natasha Khan is pretty much my like my fashion/lifestyle icon. She's so amazing, she almost makes me want to start playing piano again. Almost.

Erika said...

Awww, you're welcome! I just really like music and sharing it with people whom I hope will like it too!!
And I love Natasha Khan too! Mostly because of her blue hair and ability to wear ribbon hippie headbands all the time and still look totes down to earth. Once I was listening to the radio and the DJ said Bat For Lashes was a band and I sent him an email and said "Nope! Bat for Lashes is just Natasha Khan" and he was like, "Whoops!" then I went on to intern for him! My fave song is "What's a Girl to Do?"

Lolita Hazed said...

I think the woman is nothing short of perfect, really. I want to be her when I grow up.
Fur and Gold is such an amazing album, all-throughout. Even ones I didn't think I was in love with resonated with me-- case in point: "Seal Jubilee". My favorites are "Prescilla" and "Bat's Mouth"!

BTW, that sounds like the best way to get a job ever. I need to start harrassing Ira Glass!

the only amaris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the only amaris said...

yay! natasha khan is all kinds of fantastic :)

 

design by suckmylolly.com