Thursday, October 2, 2008

ASSUMPTIONS make an ASS out of yoU and ME

One of my dearest friends during middle school lives in the middle of nowhere, hunts deer and goes to church every Sunday. She's always been a pretty conservative girl, and I shockingly watched her walk out of RENT after the girl-on-girl kiss during "The Tango Maureen". But she's one of the kindest, most pure-hearted people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting-- my shock was from shame.

Yesterday, a group of us were discussing how weird it feels that some of us will be able to vote. The aforementioned girl, who turned 18 on Sunday, asked us when the last day to register was.
"October 10th," a guy I know said.
"Where do you register?" she asked. I was completely silent for a bit of a time.
"I--is it bad that I don't want to tell you?" The slow pain of that sentence was brutal to even me. I felt like those words would burn my larynx. Another little bit of silence. She got the message.
"I'm... actually registering as a Democrat," she replied. I was totally shocked, and felt guilty, slightly harsh.
"Wow-- really?" I inquired, still feeling idiotic. She explained that she's beginning to see she agrees with neither side-- Republican or Democrat-- wholeheartedly, and wants to register Independent.

I thought I was more open-minded than the petty judgment I committed. I'm telling you because I don't want you to make this mistake.
Let everyone know they need to vote, regardless of political bias-- this year, it feels pretty urgent.
Declare Yourself, Rock the Vote, do whatever-- just make sure you register soon, because who wants to miss out on this important election? Not I!

And as a virgin voter, I know I want my first time to be special-- so feel free to choose who you want, but as for me, I'm...

(Courtesy of Highsnobette-- you guys kick ass! ^_^)
(Get the shirt here.)

Get informed! Watch the vice presidential debate on CNN now!

Mid-debate update: Want to curl up in a ball on my floor. I'm so afraid.

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com