Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blast the Past: Nelly Furtado "Turn Off the Light"


I've always really liked Nelly Furtado. When she came around in 2000, her brand of natural, funky folk-pop was certainly something that hadn't been heard before. Her debut Whoa, Nelly! was pretty impressive and gave us great songs like "I'm Like a Bird" and my favorite, "Turn Off the Light" (video above). She was a sleeper success, full of style, street smarts and a lot of things to say. Then she came out with the wonder of 2002's vastly-underrated Folklore, an album that hypnotized me immediately. (It was pretty much the soundtrack of my sixth grade year, and I highly recommend it.) So when she joined Timbaland's growing posse two years ago, I was very disappointed. While Loose has some okay songs, it was like all the other-- in Nelly terms-- "Shit on the Radio", you know? Considering how fresh her preceding albums were, it was sad.
I've had a very nice little sentimental connection with Nelly. After all, her prominence in the years 2000 to 2002 coincided with my preadolescence. So it can be understood that when I think of her, I like to think of her like this.

*Sigh*. This is such a good song.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Ohhh I love love love Nelly when she was like this! I loved "Like A Bird" so much, I basically sang it all the time in middle school. And "Turn Off The Light" is a brill song! Her voice, the message...all of it! My friend and I used to just sing "rough, rough, rough" like "ruff, ruff, ruff!" We thought we were too cute.

Lolita Hazed said...

*Sigh*, I miss old-school Nelly far too much! I hope that she one day comes to her senses. She wowed me!

 

design by suckmylolly.com