Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some albums have weaved themselves into my life story.

A few years ago, when some friends came over, I decided I was going to clean out my CD collection. I gave away three that I can remember-- Belle & Sebastian's If You're Feeling Sinister (purchased when I met a boy that I was, at the time, still hurting from) and Elliott Smith's self-titled and Either/Or, which were kinda my emo middle-school albums that I thought I was past.
A few days ago I was all, DAMN, I want those Elliott Smith CD's back. I was so unbelievably jonesing for them out of nowhere. My friend gave them back to me and I'm super-happy. I'm listening to the self-titled right now, which is definitely one of my favorite albums of all time and I'm surprised I'd let go so easily.

God, I used to know ALL the words to this album.
My attachment to this album reminded me that I have so many other CD's that have been a part of my life story. They include, but are not limited to:
  1. The Dumb & Dumber soundtrack. God. My neighbors and I used to do the craziest dances ever to "New Age Girl" whenever it was possible. It NEVER got old, which is the wonderful thing about being a kid, you know? It's definitely a reminder of one of the happiest times of my life so far.
  2. Any Jock Jams CD. My neighbors and I were OBSESSED. We'd listen to it every day. It still isn't old!
  3. AND OMG Hanson's Middle of Nowhere! Rep Tulsa! A big part of my childhood. So many people I love have this album on repeat-- my precious neighbors I keep talking about and two of my best friends I can think of.
  4. Any Pure Disco CD ever made. In third grade, we decided disco parties were the coolest thing in the whole wide world. We were pretty awesome kids. Nine years later, a disco party is still one of the most bomb things I can think of.
  5. The Dangerous Minds soundtrack. My mom has played this constantly my whole life. It's actually to my left, right now. SO MANY CAR TRIPS. Always "Don't Go There" by 24K, which is the best thing ever to dance to. If my family had a definitive CD, it would be this or Michael Jackson's Bad-- which is sad, because the latter kinda sucks.
  6. Elliott Smith's self-titled, of course. OMFG I would lay on my floor and just stare and the ceiling and listen to it. I was sew emo.
  7. Rooney's self-titled. MY FRIENDS AND I THOUGHT WE WERE SO COOL! We were OBSESSED! We all went and saw them together in freshman year. It was intense. It was pretty much the last thing we did together. We weren't that close.
  8. Belle & Sebastian's If You're Feeling Sinister. Yeah, yeah, so I bought it with a boy who spent at least three years fucking with me. Don't want to give him power, but yeah, it took a lot of my time these past few years, so it's kind of a must on this list. It's also important because of another boy I met in freshman year that I wish I hadn't turned down. He and I would sing "Like Dylan in the Movies" together, it was so cute. He doesn't talk to me anymore. I still think about him.

Whoo! Okay, personal moment over! I thought I had so few, but damn, I could go on forever!
What about you guys?

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com